It was long used Google Analytics on my site, however, comparing statistics AWstats to see that there is big difference.
For example, note where the difference is in January 2008, where according AwStats received 46,000 visitors, while Google Analytics shows around 29,000l unique visits. Does google analytics have reporting problem ?
Google analytics : Google Analytics is a free web site statistics. Offers information grouped according to the interests of three different types of people involved in the operation of a page: executive, technical and marketing webmasters.
You can get the monitoring reports of unique users, the performance segment of users, the results of the marketing campaign, the search engine marketing, testing version of ads, content performance, the analysis of navigation, objectives and process or funnel web design parameters. This product was developed based on the purchase of Urchin (until then the largest statistical analysis of web pages) by Google.
Google analytics advantages :
– Very nice template, graphic design
– Better visitor habits tracking
AWStats is an open source web analytics reports, suitable for analyzing data from Internet services as a web server, streaming, mail and FTP. AWstats analyzes the log files from the server, and based them produce HTML reports. The data are presented visually reports tables and bar graphs. Static reports can be created through a command line interface, and reports are available on-demand via a web browser through a CGI program.
AWStats supports most formats of web server log files known, including Apache (NCSA combined log format / XLF / ELF or common format / CLFt), Webster, IIS (W3C log format) and many other common formats Internet. Developers can contribute to the project through SourceForge AWStats.
Awstats advantages :
– Simply and easy
– Unique visitors tracking and great content – popular pages tracking
– The main advantages of logfile analysis are the fact that the data is already logged by your webserver. every transaction is recorded by the webserver reguardless of the visitors browser. and this data is on your server directly in standard format so you don’t rely on a third party server. Anoher advantage is the fact that logfiles provides information about visits from search engine spiders and bots, failed requests which is really important if you want to optimize your website.
Conclusion afther google analytics vs. awstats comparation test
With 30 webmasters we made test. Each one tracked results of visits using Google analytics and Awstats. We tested browsers, content, page views, visits, unique visitors etc.
3) You can not see Scraper bots in Google analytics.
4) Google analytics really show advanced informations about visitors behavior.
5) You should use both analytics reports program and Awstats and Google analytics.