The main thing attracted me is the easy installation process of wordpress. It is easy for you to install plugins and themes if you use it for your local blog. You can do it easily without taking the high risk of blog breakage.
If you want to install wordpress locally in less than 10 minutes on XP box you have to follow below mentioned steps.
1. Get XAMPP lite for Windows. Choose the exe version, and install it at the root of your C drive.
2. Browse to C:\xampplite and double click setup_xampp.bat
3. Once that is done, double click xampp-control.exe and start the Apache and Mysql services.
4. Open the address: http://localhost/. From the menu on the left column, choose your preferred language.
5. Now that the interface displays a language that you can understand, click on phpMyAdmin (on the left column once again)
6. Enter “wordpress” (without quotes) in the “Create New Database” Field, and select utf8_unicode_ci in the drop down box in the next field (as shown in the picture below). Click on Create. The Xampp setup is now complete.
7. Download WordPress and unzip it under c:\xampplite\htdocs.
8. You should now have a wordpress folder under c:\xampplite\htdocs. Browse to the folder, and you can see a file named wp-config-sample.php. Open it in your favourite text editor and replace the default values by the ones you see under this paragraph. Save the file as wp-config.php (under the same folder). // ** MySQL settings ** //define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘wordpress’); // The name of the database define(‘DB_USER’, ‘root’); // Your MySQL username
define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ”); // …and password (needs to be empty, just for local install)
define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); // 99% chance you won’t need to change this value
9. Navigate by opening your browser to http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php , follow the given instructions. The process will complete easily.
Methods to install WordPress MU in Windows Localhost using XAMPP
WordPress is a very common software which is used for creating blogs. WordPress MU is the extension of WordPress using which a person can easily create multiple blogs in one domain. WordPress.com is the example of WordPress MU in action.
The best way to test WordPress MU is to create a local server and install test on your computer. Below given is the easiest way to create a local server with Xampp to install the WordPress Mu.
Installation of Local Server
1. First of all youi have to go to Xampp For Windows and download the Windows installer.
Run the installer. When it comes to the installation options page, select Install Apache and MySQL as a service.
2. Once the installation is completed, go to Start -> Program -> Apache Friends -> XAMPP -> XAMPP Control Panel. Press the Start button beside Apache and MySQL.
Your local server is now running. Open your browser and go the URL: http://localhost. It should show the following page:
Installing WordPress MU
3. Download the WordPress MU zip file.
4. Extract it to the folder: C:\xampp\htdocs\ (if you have installed Xampp in different location, you have to extract the WordPress-MU folder to the htdocs folder in the Xampp directory)
Setting up database for WordPress-MU
5. In your browser, go to the URL: http://localhost/phpmyadmin
In the “Create New Database” field, enter a name for your database. Press Create.
6. To install WordPress MU in localhost, we need to set up virtual hosting in Windows system.
Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open the file “hosts” with notepad (you need to have administrator privilege to edit the file. Right click the Notepad application in the Start menu and select Run As Administrator).
Insert in the line
to the end of the file. Save and close the file.
7. Back to your browser, go to the URL: http://localhost.localdomain/wordpress-mu. You should see the WordPress MU installation page.
In the field where it asks you to choose between Sub-domains or Sub-directories, select Sub-directories. This will save you plenty of trouble later on.
If you insist on choosing Sub-domains, whenever you create a new test blog (with the sub-domain test1), you will need to update the hosts file with the sub-domain entry.
In the database section, enter the database name that you have created just now. Under the Username field, enter ‘root‘ and leave the password field blank.
Afrer the completion of filling in the rest of the details, click the Submit button to finish the installation. If everything over without any error, you should see the “Installation Finished” page.