Supporter lets you develop your own profit-making blog network, similar to WordPress.com and Edublogs.org.
Give your users the opportunity to upgrade their blogs and access different new features such as plugins, themes, domain mapping, extra storage or removal of advertising.
It is up to you to charge users periodically and create subscriptions using Amazon or PayPal. Even other new gateways are in developmental stage. And, the big and good thing is that it works. Evidence is clearly in the form of Edublogs, one of the most successful and time-tested WordPress Multisite websites that exists on the web.
So, clearly speaking what this plugin actually do?
The plugin typically lets you offer and then charge the users for the premium features and for using your BuddyPress site or WordPress Multisite. The charge can be collected either in the form of single payments or as subscription. The different features that can be offered to your users consist of the following:
Users can find an additional menu item called ‘Premium Themes’ under Appearance. They can also find it under their new ‘Supporter’ menu. This menu lets them work with a horde of elegant themes. And, they would be able to preview the appearance of their blog for each of the themes. However, they can use these themes only after signing up.
And, it was not just limited to the themes, but plugins have also been given the same treatment. It has become entirely simple for administrators to develop ‘Supporter only’ Plugins. You can even develop some plugins to be entirely free, while others to be meant just for Supporters. All you need to do is chose the plugins that you have installed on your website, and select the ones that you would like to ‘Premium.’ You can find your users paying for both functionality and for themes.
Supporter 2.0 typically restricts two core functions in BuddyPress for only paid up members. These functions are – sending messages and creating groups. Therefore, by signing up, users can participate in groups, and enjoy your site. However, if they want to send messages to other users or create their own groups, they will have to pay you. This is something similar to Linked In.
Additional BuddyPress features can also be developed, for which you need to turn into a WPMU DEV Premium member and then you can ask for them in the forums.
Subscribe at sign up
How can you turn your users into Supporters when they sign up? The solution is built in for you and you can also find two options.
First is in the form of a checkbox that asks people if they want to become a Supporter. The checkbox is pre-ticked. Secondly, you have the power to send them to a completely new sign up form that will default them to sign up. And, once they have signed up, present them with a payment page that can be filled with some powerful convincing content explaining the benefits of signing up. And, you can hope that they will pay. However, in case they do not pay, it does not mean that you have lost the chance forever. A small link at the page’s bottom allows them to continue with a free blog, if they want.
BuddyPress is also integrated with this:
Amazon as well as PayPal
We may be huge supporters of PayPal, even though we understand that not everyone feels so. Therefore, we have also included Amazon as one of the payment gateway. It is up to you to choose whether you want to offer both of the payment gateways or either of them to your users. When they chose Amazon gateway, they will be able to pay simply wit their registered Amazon payment system that is similar to credit card. Additionally, Amazon charges a lower commission as compared to PayPal. However, that is not the primary concern here.
And that’s not all by any means
If all the features of this plugin were to be described, the detailing would never seem to end. You can go through the brief overview of some of the other main features of Supporter:
• It is up to you to rename Supporter. For instance, name it ‘Plus’, ‘Pro’ or ‘Premium’
• Add a fancy payment screen that displays the amount saved by people if they get a longer subscription.
• Bright and powerful individual blog alteration tools
• Attractive reporting graphs and pie charts that give a clear picture of the progress of your subscriptions
• Paid up supporters get increased storage space
• Tab positioning on the page for prominence
• Bulk upgrades to offer batches for heavy discount. Hugely popular at Edublogs.
• Google Analytics for integration of Supporters
• Facility to ‘Turn off Ads’ that lets you display ads that automatically turn off for supporters
• Enable supporters to turn on Premium themes and turn off ads on other blogs.
• Supporters of blog can disable ‘Write Page’ and ‘Write Post’ pages on non-supporter blogs. Supporters can use a widget badge to display to their friends
• Restrict remote publishing using Atom or XML-RPC to present supporters only
• Use a global widget on the front page of your website to showcase your supporters though an ‘honor roll’
• Lets you offer free trial period for supporter features on new blogs
• You can customize all the messages appearing on the site to ask users to become supporters
• Sandpit option in order to test Amazon and PayPal payments
Since all these features are ever improving, you can ask for additional features at the forums. And, to add to it all, Supporter can integrate flawlessly with a lot many other plugins based on WPMU DEV Premium like:
• Create and manage forums (restrict to supporters)
• Domain Mapping (restrict to supporters)
• Insert advertising automatically, but Supporters can turn them off
Please download plugin here :