How to start working as a freelancer?
startSi want to venture into the adventure of working as a freelance, leaving your stable income, vacation, schedule of 8 hours in the comfort of your home, work in pajamas, scheduling flexibility and freedom but still do not know where to start despite having taken the decision will share some factors to consider to start.
A couple of weeks ago at a meeting asked me how I start work as a freelancer? my answer was simple: take the decision to do so. But surely there are more factors to consider to start. I think the most important thing is to be clear what the significance of being freelance, both the things you lose as you win.
10 challenges of being freelance
You must be aware not only a freelance job or lifestyle, it is also an attitude towards the profession. When you work for a company and do bad work is responsible to the customer is the company you work for when you’re freelance is your reputation that is always at stake.
* To show your work: you must work hard to publicize your work and find customers interested in doing projects.
* Portfolio of work: If you do not have one, because it will be necessary to design your cover letter with your customers.
* Income: are not safe or stable each month, you get used to be months of much income and others who may not receive anything as projects get. Optimize your resources and organize your finances.
* Organization of time: you must have discipline to work, organize to meet the proposed dates and guarantee optimized for more projects.
* Billing / taxes: you must meet all legal matters in your country in relation to self-employment to avoid problems with the client or legal matters.
* No work no pay: your mindset has to change, now working for an income guarantee based on your effort, you can not kill time as you did in the office and receive your pay and freelancers who do not work do not get paid.
* Price just: put a price just work you do and negotiated with the customer will always be a challenge, study your market, learn how to sell your knowledge and ability at the right price.
* Trust: you trust with your clients to ensure more jobs or recommendations for the future. Your reputation will create confidence in the people with whom you work.
* Proof: If there are months where you do not have projects do not waste your mind, be freelance is a challenge that only people can do with perseverance.
* Holidays: spend much time without them, to achieve a balance of income, learning to risk some things for others.
10 steps to start as a freelance
Let it be clear that there are no formulas to begin with, there are people who have never had a boss who are accustomed to working independently. Furthermore, I know people who have been working for the same company and want change but they know how. So if you want to start working your independence here are some tips to evaluate:
* Evaluate your skills: do not try to sell something you’re not, be very aware of your skills and Expertise to offer your customers safely.
* Build your portfolio: web pages can not sell if you do not have a well designed, if you have many designs or developments unless it itself is worthy of admiration.
* Create support stationery: business cards are never over, it’s always good to carry one with you with all your information to contact you.
* Choose a work area: it is important because it is the place where you will spend much of your time, try to be comfortable and have the basics to work.
* Optimize your resources: the beginning is always a bit difficult, so try to optimize everything you have: money, clothes, budget, energy, connection, etc.
* Find customers: any meeting, dinner or event may be time to find customers, try to be prepared.
* Meet with your time: do not be enthusiastic about wanting to impress while offering less traditional, remember your reputation is at stake.
* Set goals for the short, medium and long term: this will give you a vision of what you want to accomplish and not lose heart.
* Evaluate your budget: if you want to start this process, toil in financial support have you serve in emergencies.
* Do not miss the drive: If you spend several months and things do not go as expected, you should be aware that this is indeed part of the challenge, to assess how these fail and try again.
Share your experience
As I said at the beginning, there are no formulas for freelance work but certainly the experience of many may enrich our perspective. Some of the points they share are based on my experience and that of those who worked with me. So I invite you to share your experience in comments and answer questions How to start working as a freelancer? ” What was the hardest thing to start your freelance work?